Shen-Li

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 604 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Shen-Li
    Keymaster

      Hi Parul – there is a navigation page here which highlights some of the more important posts to help you get started:

       

       

      The weekly plan is a good place to start as well. You can find all the lesson links on this page:

       

      To learn more about the RBE activities, you can read the guidelines here: https://rightbrainchild.com/2020/06/03/home-practice-guidelines/

       

      Perhaps start with those and if you have any questions, feel free to post them.
      in reply to: From Bharti Gupta #22409
      Shen-Li
      Keymaster

        Hi Bharti Gupta – As you are just starting, it is okay to begin with less cards and slowly build it up as your child becomes familiar with the routine. If you need to, break up your sessions across your day so each learning session is as short as possible.

         

        Right Brain Education philosophy is that it is important to connect with your child first before teaching – https://rightbrainchild.com/2020/06/10/connecting-with-your-child/

         

        Check that the timing is right – that your child is well-rested, not hungry, not bothered by something else. If your child likes to fidget, give him something to hold and play with while you show him the cards.

         

        Also remember that your child’s brain runs a little differently from the adult brain. While the adult brain can only learn something it is focused on (like a torch), the child’s brain is like a lantern absorbing everything around it in a 360 degree fashion https://rightbrainchild.com/2020/06/20/babies-brains-what-parents-should-know/ You may notice this when a child expresses something that they did not appear to be listening to and yet they know it.

         

        If you are unable to do many activities, I would suggest focusing on the top three activities – https://rightbrainchild.com/2011/03/15/top-3-right-brain-home-activities/

         

        Try these first and see how you go?
        Shen-Li
        Keymaster

          Hi Amelia Tan – I am afraid I never wrote a post about this (can’t say that I am that organised either – it was a little bit like an organised mess). I used a lot of digital cards so organisation was easier since I could just keep them in folders on a hard drive, e.g. week 1, week 2, week 3.

           

          For paper flashcards (although I didn’t have a lot), I used IKEA boxes – the Trofast box was an almost perfect fit for A4 paper standing width-wise. I separated the sections with bits of cardboard (like an empty cereal box folded flat). When I don’t need it, the lid goes on and it can be stacked with the other boxes. To help me see which box contained what, I used sticker labels on the side.

          For the smaller playing cards, I used little boxes from Daiso to keep the different sets and just stacked them on a shelf. Daiso sells lots of these so I just had to find the ones that were roughly the sizes I needed. Sometimes they come packaged in sets.

           

          For the puzzles and games, I kept them in the Drona boxes because we have the IKEA shelves that they fit into.

           

           

           

          Shen-Li
          Keymaster

            Apeksha Jangde – to be totally honest, I have never thought three times a day was required, and perhaps overkill. The only person who talked about three times a day was Doman and he began his program with children who had brain injuries initially. I have often wondered if the high repetition was required because the children had developmental delays and that perhaps regular children do not require quite as many reps? It’s something to think about.

             

            Regarding the POI cards, you can try the digital version I have created which comes with different images for each fact and see if it helps – https://rightbrainchild.com/bits-of-intelligence/ although I would say that it is less important for your child to stare at the same image for this case since the value is in the fact being read. They can listen without looking.

             

            You can definitely switch your sessions around as you have highlighted. I have often believed that there should be no hard and fast rules in early learning but rather a suggestion. What works for individual children will be different and we cannot expect the same plan to work for all. If you need to modify, that is fine.

             

            What I feel is important and should not be neglected is bringing back old cards after a period of time. So yes, you should review POI cards after you have completed them. I would leave a period of a few months before reviewing them because our understanding of how the brain learns shows that it is the gap between reviews that makes a difference. You may want to read this for more information about it – https://rightbrainchild.com/2020/11/15/right-brain-education-schedule-planning/
            Shen-Li
            Keymaster

              Swati Modi – these are great examples! Thank you for sharing your experience. They do something similar in TweedleWink classes for the younger children.

              Shen-Li
              Keymaster

                From Divya Singhania Agarwal:

                 

                Swati Modi thanks.. I tried it worked today

                Shen-Li
                Keymaster

                  From Swati Modi:

                   

                  Hi Divya,

                   

                  What I do , every day I take any new stuff which might attract him. It could anything which is new to him and after a week we can repeat

                   

                  Like Keychain/ toy he likes/ color pen , big attractive hair clip etc… I hold in my hand and point it to different directions with some exciting expression etx 😆to get his attention at the object

                   

                  So far this is working for me. Hope this helps
                  Have a pleasant weekend 🙂
                  Shen-Li
                  Keymaster
                    Hi Sowmya Kannan – I never did find a way to shuffle digital cards automatically. The only way I knew was through manually moving the cards around. This could be quite tedious especially when you start to have a lot of cards to show.

                     

                    That was a while ago so I thought maybe there would be a way to do it now. I found this: https://www.brightcarbon.com/blog/random-order-slide-show-in-powerpoint/

                     

                    I’m not sure how complicated it is to do, but it might be easier in the long run if you can follow the instructions.
                    Shen-Li
                    Keymaster

                      Hi WL Tiong – when using digital flashcards, I feel it is better for you to sit together. Little ones can sit on your lap and you share the view of the computer together. I think it is important for your child to hear your voice but not essential for them to see your lips move. Being able to see your lips moving is only important in the case of a child with a hearing impairment.

                       

                      To ensure that the cards flow according to your speech, you should play the digital manually so that you only flip to the next card at the right time. It might be slower or faster depending on what words you need to read out.
                      Shen-Li
                      Keymaster

                        I’m afraid there isn’t an easy way right now other than manually preparing them. As parents have requested for this, I have prepared the flashcards here:

                         

                        Flashcards for Doman Math

                        Shen-Li
                        Keymaster

                          Both Doman and Shichida Math programs do not require you to show the symbols, only the cards.

                           

                          Doman suggests doing math problems by showing the relevant dot cards, e.g. 1 (show one) plus 1 (show one) equals 2 (show two). In this case, it would be better to have two 1 dot cards as it clearer that we are talking about two different items.

                           

                          Shichida’s method requires you to only show the answer card. E.g. 1 plus 1 equals 2 (show two).
                          in reply to: From Apeksha Jangde #22367
                          Shen-Li
                          Keymaster
                            I don’t have any homemade books on the site as yet. When making your own books, a good place to start is a topic that your child likes. It could even be a book about your child using photographs with your child in them. 

                            The layout of the book should be words in large font on one page (usually the left) and the picture on the opposing page (on the right). The words should be printed on a plain white background with a plain typeface to make it easier for your child to read.

                             

                            You should already have covered couplets and phrases with the reading flashcards so your book should contain complete sentences the way it would be seen in a simple picture book. Since you are writing in sentences, there will be words that are unfamiliar to your child. For example, connecting words. Sometimes, to create new sentences, you may also have to add words that are unfamiliar. This is fine.

                             

                            You may have noticed already that Doman’s reading program does not cover a lot of words. His premise is that once your child has seen enough words, they will start to deduce the reading code and be able to read new words. By continuing to read together as many books as possible, you will help to fill in any gaps that your child may have with reading. This is also why we read more complex books together (ones that your child will not read on their own but will listen to you read to them).

                             

                            Definitely continue to read with your child – board books and any other books. Read widely and a range of different books. Bedtime stories are a great way to introduce a slightly harder book to your child but with a story that your child will enjoy and be eager to listen to.

                             

                            Doman doesn’t have many books but you can read more about their suggestions for making your own books here: https://www.domaninternational.org/blog/5-tips-for-creating-great-homemade-books

                             

                            There is no need to put the words in her board books into flashcards – just continue to read them together and run your finger under the words as you read them out.

                             

                            Your book doesn’t have to have a picture for every sentence. It could be a paragraph accompanied by a single picture related to something in the paragraph.

                             

                            Regarding repetitions – as you are teaching your child to read, repetition is necessary. How you repeat is key to helping your child learn. I suggest reading this post if you haven’t already – https://rightbrainchild.com/2020/11/15/right-brain-education-schedule-planning/

                             

                            Bringing back old material for a review is actually good for learning because the brain will continue to build on the connections formed during the first exposure. The key to learning is the gap between the repeat exposures. By leaving a few months in between the exposure, you build a stronger foundation in your child’s learning.

                             

                            The only issue with repetitions is when your child gets bored. That is when you want to switch things up to make it more interesting again.

                             

                            If you find that your child is already very familiar with the words, then there is no need to go back to repeat the flashcards. From there, you should move on to more books and continue reading more widely to build vocabulary.

                             

                            I do not think it is necessary to change the images to items in your home as these are generic items. A chair will be a chair regardless of whether it is one in your house or one in a restaurant.

                             

                            When it comes to family members, it is more personal for your child to change the pictures to represent the respective members of your child’s family. However, your child may not have a brother or a sister which means some pictures will not be consistent. Also, words like nephew and niece are most likely not going to apply to your child. Just some thoughts to consider.

                             

                            Personally, I think it would be more consistent to use generic images for the flashcards then extend the learning with a homemade book, where you use the real photos of your child’s grandma, aunt, or brother, omitting the individuals that are not present in your child’s life. In such cases, you can then also include images of your child’s chair, bed, toys, etc.
                            • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Shen-Li.
                            Shen-Li
                            Keymaster

                              My pleasure Tejaswi. Please feel free to share other topics you would like to see.

                              Shen-Li
                              Keymaster

                                My pleasure Tejaswi. Please feel free to share other topics you would like to see.

                                Shen-Li
                                Keymaster

                                  Hi Sunganthi – it’s been a while since I printed flashcards, so I will recommend these posts from Mummy’s Homeschool:

                                   

                                  What Printer and Paper to Choose

                                  Which Printer Saves Lots of Time and Money

                                Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 604 total)