Shen-Li

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 604 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Shen-Li
    Keymaster

      Hi Alekhya Thirumani – to change the images, you will need to save the files to your computer first. There should be an option to do so from google drive. Go to “file” and select “download” from the drop-down menu. Choose the format you wish to download it in. Alternatively, you can make a copy of the file and edit the second copy.

      Shen-Li
      Keymaster

        Hi Usha Muthu – the recommended ages for starting various activities are merely rough guides. Children all vary in the way they develop. Some may be ready to start a certain activity from 19 months while others might need to wait a little longer. The best person to decide whether your child is ready is you because you are the one who works most closely with your child. You will have a sense of when something is working or when it is not.

         

        You can definitely start trying image training at 19 months if you feel your child is ready to take instructions from you. Alternatively, you can demonstrate to your child the activity by practicing it yourself. You can talk about what you expect to see after you look away and close your eyes. You can also explain negative images and find examples of what they might look like to show your child. Even if your child doesn’t fully understand right now, all of this will be part of laying a foundation for later experiences and will be valuable.
        Shen-Li
        Keymaster

          Hi Isha Jhaveri. To my knowledge, Heguru never did the 1000 linking memory cards. Their methods follow the 100 peg memory only and it was taught 10 cards at a time and repeated from the beginning after all 100 cards were covered.

           

          There isn’t much information on Shichida regarding the 1000 cards linking memory but I once saw an image of a child with a lot of cards laid out on the floor before her. It said she had memorized 1000 cards. This, I believe, was the 1000 linking memory.

           

          There are several ways you can do it – for example, working with ten cards each week and moving on to new cards the following week. Eventually linking 100 cards together, then moving to the next 100 cards (again 10 at a time) and then linking all 100 cards together. Then join 100-200 cards. So you won’t be doing all the cards together every day but every so often, you will bring out everything you have covered.

           

          Another method would be to gradually add a few cards each time. Start with 10, then add 5 cards each week onto your existing cards. This means you will start from the beginning each time and build on it as you go along. The quantities I have selected are arbitrary. If you find your child recalling very easily, you can try increasing the quantity.

           

          Both methods have been used and they both work so you can choose the method that suits you and your child. Either way, the end goal should be to recall all 1000 cards in sequence.
          Shen-Li
          Keymaster

            From Isha Jhaveri:

             

            Hi Shen Li, thank you for the suggestions.

             

            I have few more doubts:

             

            1) what do you suggest, we should add few cards everyday

             

            2) should be done once a week. Because in heguru the class is once a week so we get a good gap of 6 days before repeating the cards.

             

            3) in 1000 card chain, how one should go like after completing the 50 cards start with the next set of 50 cards.. or should it be in continuation as in.. after completing 50 in next session I show 1 to 55 cards or just 50 to 55 and keep adding from there?

             

            Thank you!

             

            Shen-Li
            Keymaster

              Hi Alaka Das – there’s no hard and fast rule for this one. Depending on which method you follow, some recommend doing so – like the Doman program – whereas, in Right Brain Education practice, they neither say that you need to or do not need to. In class, I have noticed that they do not shuffle.

               

              For linking memory, there are different ways to practice. I recommend both methods because I feel they do different things. The first is using the same story in the same order, gradually building up to 1000 cards. The second is a randomised linking memory (best to use a smaller set of physical cards so you can shuffle easily) where you make up a story as you go to link the cards in the order that they appear. The goal is to slowly build up the number of cards that your child can remember and for your child to make up their own story to help them remember.

               

              Both methods are explained in detail here, along with the cards to download: https://rightbrainchild.com/2020/06/19/activity-memory-train/

               

              Whether you choose to shuffle your cards or not is up to you. The only time I’ve ever shuffled cards was in the reading program because I did not want memorisation of the order of words rather than learning to recognise the words. That said, children who learn to read by the side of parents just reading through books will not have the benefit of word shuffling but are still able to learn how to read, so I would say you can get away without shuffling. I hope that helps.
              Shen-Li
              Keymaster

                From Alaka Das:

                 

                Do we need to reshuffle the flash cards after each session? I have been doing that till now. But some ppl say it doesn’t help in linking memory. What do u suggest?

                Shen-Li
                Keymaster

                  Hi Pranitha – you can still flash. The goal of flashing should be fast. As soon as you read the text, you move on to the picture. It is one second a card. I can move the words up to the middle of the page. It was a quick edit to standardise all the flashcards so that there is flexibility to print as well as show on screen. When teaching reading through Doman’s reading program, there are only words – no pictures. I added pictures to give context to words that may have little meaning for a child who has not experienced them. Combined and shown quickly enough, it should be able to hold your child’s attention.

                   

                  Please read this article on flashcards for more information – https://rightbrainchild.com/2021/07/10/how-to-use-flashcards-in-early-learning/

                   

                  Feel free to add your thoughts or raise any other questions.

                  in reply to: The umonics method #22480
                  Shen-Li
                  Keymaster

                    Hi Sherlyne,

                     

                    To be honest, I have not heard about the Umonics Method until you mentioned it. I have looked briefly through their materials and can only guess that they are teaching children memory methods much like the ones taught in RBE, i.e. linking memory, peg memory, memory palace, etc. These are all well-known memory systems that are taught in self-help books with the main difference being that they are focused on teaching young children.

                     

                    Let me take a closer look at the Umonics Method and I will let you know if I know more. For now, I would suggest teaching your child the memory methods used in RBE. Beyond teaching the activities, you can use the methods to illustrate to your child how they can apply it to help them remember other things so that in future, when there are things they must memorise, they can apply these methods for themselves.

                     

                    In terms of recalling names of famous people, I have heard of using linking memory to recall the elements of the periodic table and Presidents of the United States. Of course these are done by following a story created by someone else. To help your child really make use of the techniques, they must learn to create their own stories, then they can apply the memory methods to help them recall other things need to learn in school.

                     

                    I know this is not a full answer but I hope it helps.

                    Shen-Li
                    Keymaster

                      Ah, I see. That is okay as well since the purpose of the story in linking memory is to help them remember the items.

                       

                      Memory development progresses in stages. For instance, if you were learning to play a musical piece on a piano, initially, you have to read every note as you play it. It will sound slow and stuttery. As you start to remember the notes, you play more smoothly. It will come to a point when you can play the piece quite smoothly without really reading each note, but if you close the book, you can’t play it completely from memory because the music sheets help to prompt you on what’s coming next. If you work on it enough, you can move from this stage to playing completely by heart (without the music sheets). It is similar in this case with the linking memory story. I hope that makes sense.

                      Shen-Li
                      Keymaster

                        Hi Yesha – this is now available for download here:

                         

                         

                        Thank you for your other suggestions. I will post the links when they are ready.

                        • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Shen-Li.
                        Shen-Li
                        Keymaster

                          That’s fine! She is doing very well. It shows that she can remember. Since she cannot speak as much, it will be difficult for her to tell the whole story. It is also worth noting what Shichida said – that it doesn’t matter if they don’t repeat the story. Some children will only say the item without the story and it is okay. The story helps with the recall but is not essential – it is just an aid. The objective of linking memory is not the story but the items. The items are what we are trying to remember and creating a silly story is a way of helping us remember the items.

                          in reply to: Routines for 10mo #22462
                          Shen-Li
                          Keymaster

                            From Tejaswi:

                             

                            I have 1week shy 10m old. I started a month back.I show her picture cards after she wakes from her nap. That is 3 times a day. Right now she is not interested in word and dot cards. So I am showing picture cards followed by words. I will start dot cards in a week again.

                             

                            Also, I use different cards in all the sessions.
                            Shen-Li
                            Keymaster

                              Hi Apeksha Jangde – in the lesson plans, I have brought them back in the form of speed play after a period of a few months. However, I do feel that there would be more reinforcement to give certain topics more attention either through higher repetition of flashing, review through homemade books or through physical activities related to the topic.

                               

                              For instance, when looking at the work related to George Seurat, you can do an art activity that demonstrates the concept of pointillism – the style of painting he is most famous for. This hands-on activity creates more connections in the brain than only viewing material.

                              in reply to: From Apeksha Jangde #22458
                              Shen-Li
                              Keymaster

                                Hi Divya – yes, you can do the same for more than one word. In Doman’s Reading Program, after teaching single words, we move on to couplets, then phrases, then sentences, and homemade books. Those will also have more than one word.

                                Shen-Li
                                Keymaster

                                  Hi Fari Anne! Thank you for sharing your topic requests. I know the forum format is new and takes a bit of time to get used to. The location for flashcard topic requests is here (located under the Flashcards Forum):

                                   

                                  Please Share Requests for Topics Here

                                Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 604 total)